The Pioneer Mothers Memorial Cabin Museum is
overlooking the Willamette River.
The OSSDAR began construction of the cabin in 1929,
completed for the dedication ceremony on June 14,
1931. Built to honor early pioneer mothers, the cabin
is constructed of peeled hand-hewn logs with a
massive stone fireplace at one end of the main living
room. The cabin has a sleeping loft and two small
bedrooms. It is a replica, much enlarged, of the type
of log cabin erected by early pioneers.
It contains many interesting articles contributed by
descendants of as many as 40 pioneer families. These
items were carried across the plains by covered wagon
and by boat down the Columbia and Willamette rivers.
One such item is a collapsible Hudson's Bay heating stove that was brought to Oregon in 1838 by Father Blanchet for use in the
Catholic Mission in St. Paul, Oregon. There is also a detailed collection of guns and muskets which date from 1777 to 1853.
Other items include a fine example of a hair wreath - popular parlor art of the 1850s - as well as several feather and yarn wreaths
are on display. The fife played at Lincoln's funeral and a slice of the tree under which George Washington took command of the
American Army in 1775 are other historic items available for view. There are also lovely pieces of china and glassware as well as
fine old furnishings from pioneer homes.
This cabin is dedicated to all pioneer mothers who made so many sacrifices to establish
their new homes in the Northwest country. To see it gives one a feeling of life as it was
lived in the early days of Oregon.
Help Us Save the Cabin!
Due to the location of the cabin along the Willamette River, the land beneath has
experienced over 70 feet of erosion over the last 50 years and the cabin is in ever
increasing danger of falling into the river. Efforts are currently underway to move the
Pioneer Mothers Memorial Cabin to the Robert Newell House Museum complex.
|March 1 through October 31
Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Major Holidays
1 to 5 PM
Or tours any day any time by Appointment Admission
DAR Members & Seniors $3
8089 Champoeg Road NE
St. Paul, OR 97137
|Newell House is owned and maintained by the Oregon State Society of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
© 2006 Newell House Museum All Rights Reserved
|Pioneer Mothers Memorial Cabin as it stands today in Champoeg State Heritage Park.
We are now open for the 2013 season!